April is here and Spring dog safety is no joke!
There are few rites of Spring more satisfying than the annual clean. Indoor Spring hazards include household cleaning products. Soaps, bleach, furniture polish and cleansers can irritate your Doodle's gastrointestinal tract. Cleaning supplies like sponges can also cause problems if ingested. Best advice is to try to keep your dog away when you are doing your Spring cleaning.
Many of us simply cannot wait to get our hands (and paws) deep into the earth to begin planting and adding color to our yards. Some Spring bulbs and flowers can be poisonous to dogs.. As pet owners, being aware of poisonous plants and substances can help you avoid potential dangers and emergency trips to the veterinarian.
Tulips contain allergenic lactones while hyacinths contain similar alkaloids. The toxic principle of these plants is very concentrated in the bulbs (versus the leaf or flower), so make sure your dog isn’t digging up the bulbs in the garden. When the plant parts or bulbs are chewed or ingested, it can result in tissue irritation to the mouth and esophagus. Typical signs include profuse drooling, vomiting, or even diarrhea, depending on the amount consumed.
Daffodils contain lycorine, an alkaloid with strong emetic properties (something that triggers vomiting). Ingestion of the bulb, plant or flower can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and even possible cardiac arrhythmias or respiratory depression. Crystals are found in the outer layer of the bulbs, similar to hyacinths, which cause severe tissue irritation and secondary drooling. Daffodil ingestions can result in more severe symptoms .
Crocus plant ingestions can cause general gastrointestinal upset including vomiting and diarrhea. Signs may be seen immediately but can be delayed for days.
Fertilizing flowers, shrubs and lawns does wonders for their growth, but not for your dog’s! Know exactly fertilizers are used on your property, and keep you dog away from your neighbors’ lawns whenever you see those little flags that say "we just fertilized.” When possible, opt for organic methods to fertilize your plants and lawn.
The best thing any pet owner can do is to be educated on the household toxins (both inside the house and out in the garden!)