Coconut oil has been rapidly growing in popularity. The coconut, also known as the “tree of life” has been found to have many benefits not only for humans, but for our best friends as well. Fed regularly to pets, coconut oil can have many health benefits -for their skin, digestive and immune systems; metabolic function; and even their bone and brain health!
There are many healthful benefits to adding coconut oil to your Doodles's diet. The unrefined type has a taste that most dogs immediately love. You can incorporate it directly into your dog’s meal by adding a 1/4 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon, depending on the size of your dog. As with any added fat to a diet, you will want to start slowly so your dog can properly absorb and process the oil and avoid diarrhea.
The Top 10 reasons to add coconut oil to your dog’s diet:
- Coconut oil improves overall skin health, and clears up skin conditions such as eczema, flea allergies, contact dermatitis, and itchy skin.
- Incredibly emollient, coconut oil helps moisturize the driest skin and makes a dog’s coat gleam with health — whether you add it to her diet, her shampoo, or both!
- Applied topically to the skin, coconut oil promotes the healing of cuts, wounds, hot spots, bites, and stings.
- The antibacterial and antifungal properties of coconut oil help reduce doggy odor, and its pleasantly tropical aroma imparts a delightful scent to a dog’s skin and coat.
- Coconut oil prevents and treats yeast infections, including candida. Its antiviral agents also help dogs recover quickly from kennel cough.
- Digestion and nutrient absorption are improved by the addition of coconut oil to a dog’s diet. It can, however, cause stool to loosen; if that happens, just add a few spoonfuls of canned pumpkin to your dog’s diet.
- Coconut oil reduces — and sometimes eliminates — doggy breath. Some dog lovers even brush their pets’ teeth with it. Which makes sense, as dogs love the taste of coconut oil, and that makes the chore less arduous for brusher and brushee.
- Coconut oil helps prevent diabetes by regulating and balancing insulin. It also promotes normal thyroid function, and helps prevent infection and heart disease.
- Helping to reduce weight and increase energy, coconut oil also promotes mobility in dogs with arthritis and other joint issues.
- Coconut oil is excellent for brain health; it’s being used to stave off dementia in humans, and it’s a must to keep senior dogs’ minds from becoming cloudy.
Let us know if you have given coconut oil to your Labradoodle of Long Island!